A cluttered lengthy page hid features and didn’t inspire confidence in the product.
As a first step in creating a message, users had difficulty in navigating a small scrollable window with horizontal tiled checkboxes to select their contacts.
Relevant features and selections were buried under on page menus or pushed down screen.
While the required fields needed to send a message were quite short, it felt much longer than necessary due to poorly grouped items and a lack of vertical rhythm. This made the likelihood of abandoning the keystone feature of the application unnecessarily high.
I wanted to break down the process of sending a message into 3 distinct steps: contact selection, message creation and scheduling. This way we could group similar features into these larger buckets.
We made some decisions on behalf of the user, like automatically switching to send as MMS when an image was added, which allowed us to reduce form fields and thus cognitive load.
After launching the new design to a small portion of our users we noticed through our analytics that the total number of contacts per session had dropped unexpectedly. Reviewing user data, we noticed users experiencing difficulty when adding multiple contact groups with our new selection component. With only a few minor improvements to the component, we fixed the dip in total contact use which allowed us to release the updated design to all users.
Through more user research, we determined that a core set of our users could benefit from additional guidance as they craft their messages. I’ve started to test further dividing up the steps so that we can use additional screen real estate to offer tips and call out relevant features better.